~WELCOME~

I have manifested Bipolar behaviours since early teenhood (even childhood), but was only officially diagnosed in 2007.

Some would say having a diagnosis is like rubber stamping all poor behaviour, but I feel it is to the contrary. Knowing what I am up against and accepting my limitations has given me the freedom to pursue a more normal life with the people I love, doing the things I love, and most important - I am better able to serve the Saviour I love.

It is my hope and prayer that this blog is an encouragement to those with Bipolar and an educational tool to those who suffer through it with a loved one.


Thursday, January 7, 2010

What means Deciduous?

de⋅cid⋅u⋅ous  /dɪˈsɪdʒuəs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-sij-oo-uhs] –adjective

1. shedding the leaves annually, as certain trees and shrubs.
2. falling off or shed at a particular season, stage of growth, etc., as leaves, horns, or teeth.
3. not permanent; transitory.

Origin:
1650–60; < L dēciduus tending to fall, falling, equiv. to dēcid(ere) to fall off, down (dē- de- + -cidere, comb. form of cadere to fall) + -uus deverbal adj. suffix; see -ous
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I wasn't sure if people would understand my blog title or not - it is me on so many levels. I love deciduous trees - these are the trees that lose their leaves in the winter - not pines or other evergreens (which I really don't like, but I'm surrounded by them so I guess I better get over that, huh?) There are so many more analogies to being deciduous and the seasons of life ~ not enough room in one post. I will give a short breakdown of what each stage reminds me of... (by the way, any of these could apply to a season of life, a
 
Spring: new life, hope, relief from the winter desolation, coming out of hiding, longer days and more sun, the leaves drawing more energy through the branches from the vine to grow and be revived.
 
Summer: the leaves are in full bloom and all is static. Leavs are simply maintaining, giving back to the tree much of hte energy they used up in thier short growth period. Leaves also offer shade and protection to others, asking for little more than a little water to refresh itself and continue to prepare for the fall ahead.
 
Autumn: Leaves die - their chlorophil (the phytochemical that produces glucose from sun and O2) is pulled back into the tree for safe-keeping - the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good of the whole. As a result of this, the leaves are their most breath-taking and landscapes burn with brilliant orange, red, gold, green and brown... Only after they lose their life do they gain it. 
 
Winter: Wind and cold beat on the leaves and they fall to the ground, only to be swept away by more wind or trampled on by passers-by. In their stead, valuable nutrients are deposited, absorbed and used to fuel the birth and growth of next season's foliage. 
 
OK. So I ramble. I love to write - and living in a hypomanic state most of the time only fuels that fire of fluency. Have a GREAT DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment